CURRICULUM VITAE FOR JAKOB RAHR WINTHER
Date of birth: April 7, 1961
Contact details: e-mail: JRWinther@bio.ku.dk; Phone: +4535321500
- 1989: PhD (Lic. scient.) University of Copenhagen
- 1987-1988: Graduate studies, University of Oregon, USA and University of Copenhagen
- 1986: MSc in Biochemistry, University of Copenhagen
- 2009-: Head of Section for Biomolecular Sciences, Dept. of Biology
- 2007-2009: Head of Section for Protein Science, Dept. of Biology
- 2005-: Professor in Protein Biochemistry, Dept. of Biology, University of Copenhagen
- 1994-1995: Visiting scientist Inst. of Biophysics and Physical Biochemistry, University of Regensburg
- 1991-2005: Staff research scientist at the Carlsberg Laboratory, Copenhagen
- 1989-1991: Post doc at the Carlsberg Laboratory, Copenhagen
The scientific work has throughout focused on combining protein chemistry and genetics.
The main areas of experience include redox metabolism and disulfide bond formation.
One of the main contributions has been the design and implementation of a redox
sensitive variant of GFP which is used in many lab’s worldwide and which is highly
cited. This has later evolved into several projects involving protein design. In addition,
protease function and activity has been an important area of interest in particular in terms of specificity and activation and inhibition.
Has headed several research projects, publicly (FTP, FNU) and privately (NovoNordisk
Foundation) funded. Has served as Section Head at the Department of Biology for 8
years, and has during this time played a central role coordinating research efforts and
funding in the Section for Biomolecular Sciences.
RECENT INVITED INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS AND TALKS
“204th meeting of the Belgian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology”,
Brussels, Belgium (2011); “Free Radicals Brazil”, Sau Paolo, Brazil (2011); Gordon
Research Conference on “Thiol-based Redox Regulation and Signaling”, Bates College,
Maine, USA (2012); Society for free radical biology and medicine, San Antonio, Texas
(2013). Session chair at Gordon Research Conference on “Thiol-based Redox Regulation and Signaling”, Girona, Spain (2014).
Personal supervisor of 10 Post Doctoral Fellows, 11 PhD-students and more than 23
Master’s-project students. External referee/opponent on more that 50 masters and PhD
Ad hoc referee for PNAS, J Mol Biol, EMBO J, Biochemistry, Mol Cell Biol, Anal
Biochem, Mol Biol Cell, Biotech Progres, J Med Chem, FEMS Yeast Res, Arc Microbiol,
J Chromat and several others. External grant referee for evaluation of US (NSF), British
(Welcome Trust), French (ANR), Belgian (FWO) and Israely (ISF) grants and promotion
matters. On the board of referees of the Deutche Forshungsgemeinshaft priority program in Dynamics of Thiol-based Redox Switches in Cellular Physiology 2014-18.
ONGOING AND RECENT COLLABORATIONS
Michel Toledano, CEA, Paris; Colin Thorpe, University of Delaware; Andreas Meyer,
University of Bonn; Ineke Braakman, University of Utrecht; (international); Birthe
Svensson, Danish Technical University; Henrik Østergaard, Novo-Nordisk A/S;
(National). Martin Willemoes, Kaare Teilum, Jan Jensen, Kresten Lindorff-Larsen, Lars
Ellgaard, Michael A. Sørensen, Jann Hau (UC local).
72 peer reviewed articles (average Journal Impact Factor >5). ISI: citations >2600; Hindex:
29. Google Scholar: citations: >3250; H-index: 30.
In addition, 7 articles in various books and folders have been published.